Thursday, February 28, 2013

Things, updates, and whatnot...

My oh my, where has the time gone? Life kind of got away from me in February and I came to the realization this morning that I haven't posted in a while. So what's been happenin'? Here's a quick rundown:

1. Got me a job: at the end of January, I got a call from a restaurant that I'd applied to a month earlier asking if I still wanted a job. Ummm, yes please! I'm currently serving/waitressing Saturday - Tuesday evenings at a bar and restaurant 5 minutes away. I like it OK, but am definitely 100% sure that working in a restaurant is not what I want to be doing for a long time. I served when I was in college and for a little bit right after college when I first moved up to the cities (I needed to supplement my part-time teaching income). Once I was able to secure a full-time teaching gig, I dropped the serving shenanigans because a. I got my teaching degree for a reason, and b. I'm just not cut out for it. I was thinking that this type of job would be something I could manage for the next couple of years so that I could stay home with the kids, but I truly am not happy waiting on people and don't think I can manage doing it for much longer than I need to. Anyways, it's been keeping me pretty busy. I really don't have any time to myself, since I'm with the kids Monday - Friday, then working all weekend. But whatever, that's the sacrifice I had to make. So that's that.

2. I'm sure you were all just so eager to find out what I decided to do about my teaching job next year. I will have to elaborate in person to anyone who really wants to know the deets, but here's a quick outline of what it all looked like:
February 1st - emailed the district asking for an extension because I just needed a liiiiittle more time to make my decision; they gave me until February 6th
February 6th - emailed the district that I would not be coming back the following year, so I requested another year off
Morning of February 13th - realized that I didn't really like my serving gig (read above), so I emailed the district stating that I would, indeed, be returning to my contract the following year
Afternoon of February 13th - emailed the district again clarifying that I wanted to come back part-time, not full time
Are your heads spinning? I know, mine too. I was thinking about writing an entire post about how this all came to light, and was going to title it "Indecision", but just got too lazy.
So come this April or May, I will hear back from the district if they will approve for me to come back part time. If they don't, I will probably just go back full time and deal with it. I'm hoping that if we can just get enough debt paid off the rest of this year, it won't be a super big deal for me to go back part-time (since part-time will be nearly a wash when factoring in the cost of part-time daycare, but I'll figure it out).

3. February was also the month of 'the pukes'. I had the pukes 2 1/2 weeks ago, then Kellen got the pukes 5 days after me. Then Aaron got it 2 days after Kellen. Then Kellen got the pukes again this past weekend. Poor. Kid. Seriously, he has really gotten the raw end of the deal in terms of illness this year. He's had 4 ear infections in the past 5 months (just got diagnosed with another one this morning), several colds, and was diagnosed (prematurely if you ask me) with asthma in November.


4. Because she hasn't been mentioned yet, just wanted to add a quick note that Mila is doing fabulous and is as cute and as sweet as ever. Seriously, having this little girl in my life just makes everything better. Could she be any cuter?



2 comments:

  1. February did fly by us, didn't it? I am so sorry to hear that most of yours was spent puking or cleaning up other's puke. Ugh. And the ear infections? Poor guy. Do you think he'll need to get tubes?

    My fingers are crossed that your request for part time is approved! I can only imagine the thought process and indecision those couple of weeks. Hoping it works out as you'd hoped, but like you said you can make the most of whatever situation life brings you.

    Hugs to those beautiful babies of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you on February going by way too fast - I realize I haven't posted in weeks either. And that damn sickness... it needs to go away. It went through our house several times... mostly attacking Mason everytime but usually take down another one each time as well!

    Hoping the district approves your part time request and you can get back to doing what you love instead of doing a job just becuase you have to. Have you found daycare already? That is never a fun task, hopefully you can find one you love (and the kids love too)!

    As for your kids... they are so dang cute! And Mila is getting so big... I really need to see her soon. We need to plan a play date once I get back from vacation.

    ReplyDelete