Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Lunch

I saw someone post pictures a few weeks back of what she fed her children for lunch, and I thought "I'm going to copy her and do the same"...because, well, a big part of being a SAHM is feeding your kids. I guess I never really thought anyone would be interested in what I feed my kids, and you're probably thinking "I'm NOT interested, Suzi." But what the hell, why not?

So as you all know (if you read my previous post about my not-so-awesome kitchen skills), I am not a fancy cook, nor do I have any real talent in the kitchen. However, I don't really think you need to be a good cook to be able to make your children or your family healthy food, especially when it comes to lunch. I feel like lunch is usually something people just throw together in a pinch - not something you really need to plan out. For instance, this is what I fed the kids the other day for lunch:

Kellen: strawberry yogurt; cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots with melted cheese; pretzels with ranch dressing; turkey lunch meat; sliced pears; whole milk (not pictured)


Mila: pear; turkey lunch meat; avocado/squash/sweet potato mush

Here's a close-up of the avocado/squash/sweet potato mush (I suppose I should come up with a word other than 'mush' for this, but I think it fits because I 'mush' it together with a fork...so I'm stickin' with that label)


I think both of my babies' lunches are pretty balanced and healthy, and I didn't really work too hard to put them together. I will say that it is more of a pain to make homemade baby food than to just buy it at the store, but overall it's not that difficult. Just bake the food (whatever it is - could be squash, sweet potatoes, apples, carrots, etc), blend it, put it in ice cube trays over night (don't forget to cover the trays with aluminum foil or saran wrap), load the cubes into baggies, label, and freeze. Voila!

And in regards to baby food, it's not that I'm someone who's against store-bought baby food...not at all! I just find it much cheaper to do it all on my own, and I think it tastes pretty good. I'm sure it's not as smooth or fancy as something you could find at the store, but it works and Mila likes it (Kellen liked it when he was a baby, too).

So there you go. Even lousy cooks can make their children healthy meals! (Score for me!)

2 comments:

  1. Looks familiar buddy! And healthy! I agree, I like lunch because there's so little pressure. Steam up some frozen veggies, slap together a sandwich or some toast, cut up some fruit... voila! Well rounded meal for a toddler.

    Getting my 3-year old to eat it these days has become much more of a problem. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great lunch to me! I have to agree lunch time is a lot let stressful than dinner. And I give you props for making your own baby food, I kinda wish I would have done that and cloth diapers but I was just too lazy! Also, you kids are so dang cute I can't even handle it.... and Mila is getting so big, I need to see her again sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete