Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Something you will never find in my kitchen

I've seen pictures of these on a few people's blogs lately, and I can say I'm truly impressed. It's not the actual blackboard itself I'm talking about. It's the fact that people are planning their week's menus out in advance. Do people seriously do this? This is amazing. Really, truly, honestly amazing.


You'd think that because I'm home with my kids all day, every day, I'd have the time and ability to plan something like this. But, considering how much of a cooking dud I am, there is no way I'd actually be able to do this, even if I had someone coaching me through it.

Here are the steps I take when 'planning' a dinner:
1. Around 5 o'clock, walk to the freezer and open the door.
2. Look at the premade frozen dinners purchased at Aldi, Cub, and or Target.
3. Take frozen dinner out of the freezer.
4. Read directions on back of the package.
5. Put package in the oven and set the timer.
6. Eat.

If whatever was in the freezer didn't look good, here's what I do (it gets a little more complex here, everyone, so hold on to your seats):
1. Grab a box of pasta from the cupboard.
2. Boil water.
3. Add pasta
4. Pour pasta sauce on pasta.
5. Eat.

If all else fails (i.e. we had pasta for dinner the night before or leftover pasta for lunch), here's what I do:
1. Grab the eggs from the fridge.
2. Scramble them with milk (and maybe some lunch meat if I'm feeling saucy)
3. Cook the eggs.
4. Put toast in the toaster.
5. Butter the toast.
6. Eat


You are all probably feeling very sorry for my children and husband right about now, but I assure you they get a well balanced diet. It just doesn't happen to be homemade or original. I make sure to add some veggies or pour some lettuce out of a bag. And don't forget the box of croutons and the salad dressing in the fridge. If I'm feeling SUPER ambitious, I will make some guacamole. It's pretty much the only thing I know how to make that people actually enjoy eating.

If you're wondering what I ate for dinner before having kids and being a SAHM, here's a hint:


3 comments:

  1. Oh Suzi, this made me laugh! I am with you when it comes to cooking - it's a pain. I've gotten better since getting married, but we still eat grilled cheese, frozen pizza, and cereal more often than we should. Or we pick up food on the way home. Days are busy and the last thing I want to do is spend time in the kitchen making dinner, then cleaning up the mess I made while making dinner. The people that plan out a week's worth of meals impress me.

    BUT I do want to get better about making well balanced meals...and more variety! Maybe this year.

    P.S. I do love your guacamole!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am one to plan out meals... when I grocery shop I buy stuff to make 3-4 meals that week and the other nights we just wing it (usually pulling out pizza, chicken nuggets, corndogs and/or french frieds from the freezer or eating leftovers from the night before). I love to cook meals - just really hate doing dishes and sometimes I just skip that park until the next day which makes preparing the next meal a real pain in the ass!! I kinda wish I had a blackboard wall in my kitchen like that... in my next house I will have to have one!

    And Fruit Loops or Eggs for breakfast is totally acceptable. Actually we do breakfast for dinner a lot in our house... we all love breakfast foods and we dont eat hot breakfast in the morning during the week (it is cereal, pop tarts and fruit - quick and easy) so why not eat eggs and bacon for dinner!

    ReplyDelete